When I first read 2 Corinthians 1:12-24 I am going to be
completely honest with you, I had absolutely no clue as to what the heck Paul
was saying. If you haven’t read it, I
suggest you do. Read it once, twice,
maybe three times and you still, most likely won’t understand what he is
saying. So I had to ask God again, “Are
You sure that this is what you want my devotional to be about today,
Lord?” Of course He said “yes”. So I did some research (yes, internet
research) and read an article that explained exactly what I was having trouble
understanding in these verses. What Paul
is saying here is that, he is flaky.
Woh! Paul, the Great Follower of Jesus
Christ Himself, has admitted to being flaky?
Why? Why would Paul admit it? I know I sure wouldn’t, especially in a
letter to a bunch of people. But the
cool thing here is that Paul is a sinner. At one point in 1 Corinthians 16 Paul had
told them of his plans to see them (the Corinthians) but it wouldn’t happen for
a while. But when they got the letter they
didn’t like it (most likely they didn’t want to wait to see him) so Paul came
almost immediately. The visit didn’t go
well but he still promised he would be back again soon. But instead he sent a letter when he was
supposed to come. So now in 2
Corinthians, Paul is writing his fourth letter.
He begins to address his lack of
consistency in word and action. Let
me tell you why I love this: because Paul points out his own flaws and doesn’t
make up excuses. That is something we
all need to take for ourselves, especially as Christians. I think a lot of times we are quick to
judge other people’s wrongs and don’t admit, even to ourselves, that we
have our own issues that need some addressing.
I am definitely speaking for myself here. I remember there was a girl that I knew
through a friend that was struggling with finding her true identity. She went to
church but I don’t think she truly knew how loved she was by the Savior. So anyways, she got pregnant and was
continuing to live the lifestyle she had been living (parties, etc.). I knew exactly what she was going through
because I, myself had done the same. But I didn’t respond with love. I responded with quick judgments and scornful
hate for what she was doing. I don’t
know exactly what she was going through because I never brought myself back
down to her same level. I lived in this
“oh, I know it’s wrong because I did it,
but now I don’t,” kind of level (if that makes any sense). One time I saw her at Underground (she was still
pregnant)and I really felt the Lord telling me I needed to ask for forgiveness
from her. I am going to be completely
honest with you, I have never asked
for forgiveness from anyone. I know,
that’s really crazy, but it’s true. So, I did. I went up to her and it was like the words
couldn’t come out of my mouth. I
stuttered and stammered but I finally said, “I am so sorry for the way I have
treated you.” She couldn’t look at
me. I felt as though my heart had been
so heavy, for so long and it was finally lifting. I hugged her and her friend that was with
her. I don’t know what she felt like
afterwards, because I never saw her again.
I do know that I was being obedient to the Lord and I could now point in
the direction of Christ to her and others like her. What I am trying to say in this very long,
very personal devotion is that WE HAVE
ALL FALLEN SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD.
What that means is, I do not deserve to go to Heaven after that, but
Christ died for that. He died for my sin
and He died for your sin, so you can be with Him someday. He does want us to reconcile with people that
we have wronged, though. But think of
the testimony it would have on your life and on that other person. I hope today we can remember that we don’t
have to live like we are perfect but we can know that Christ is perfect
and that His promises stand firm.
“Christ says “Yes” to all of God’s promises. That’s why we have
Christ to say “Amen” for us to the glory of God. 21 And so God makes
it possible for you and us to stand firmly together with Christ. God is also
the one who chose us 22 and put his Spirit in our hearts to show
that we belong only to him.” 2 Corinthians 1:20-22 (CEV)

No comments:
Post a Comment