It's Just One of Those Days
Isaiah 43:11-12
I alone am the Lord;
only I can rescue you.
12 I promised to save you,
and I kept my promise.
You are my witnesses
that no other god did this.
I, the Lord, have spoken.
only I can rescue you.
12 I promised to save you,
and I kept my promise.
You are my witnesses
that no other god did this.
I, the Lord, have spoken.
I picked up this verse off of Bible Gateway
as the verse of the day today. It’s like
God was speaking directly to me and giving me the refreshment I needed for my
soul. Do you ever wake up in the morning
with a sense of unworthiness hanging over you?
Or maybe there are just some days you feel like your dragging your feet
in the mud and life just seems to have this tight grip around you, choking you,
giving you, “I don’t want to be here” moments throughout your day? That’s exactly how my days have been going
lately. I have allowed the never-ending
thoughts of my worldly day surround my entire being. Thoughts like: “I’ll never get moved up
here. Do I even want to try harder at
work?” “Today is going to be a long day.” “Ugh, it’s Monday. I hate Mondays.” “I already have people giving me a hard time
and it’s only Monday.” “Why do I even
bother, no one even cares anyways.”
Yes, pretty much every single one of those
thoughts has gone through my head already this Monday morning. It’s kind of depressing, I know. But if I don’t start my day with a promise of
God, it goes on like this the rest of the day.
I’m so glad that the Lord sent me this little reminder today. He says, “I alone am the LORD, only I can
rescue you.” WHEW! God is the only thing
that will save me. Not my job. Not my parents (although, I do run to them a
lot to save me from my insanity). My
friends won’t save me. My money won’t
save me. Buying more stuff won’t save
me. Finding true love won’t save
me. NOTHING can save me but my
Lord. Isn’t that refreshing? We don’t have to rely on things that will
fail us, because God is there to ALWAYS pick us back up! That is so much encouragement for my
soul.
Promises, to me, have always been kind of cliché,
when they are made by another human being.
But when I saw that God has kept His promise with me from the very
beginning of my life, it changed my whole perspective on the word “promise”. Promise means a “declaration or assurance that
one will do a particular thing or that guarantees that a particular thing will
happen”. I’ve made
plenty of promises that I didn’t keep. “I
promise, when we get home, we’ll play with your dollies.” “I promise that I’ll never do that again,
God, if you get me out of this one thing.”
But a promise coming from God is different. You see, we promise things but we don’t know
what is going to happen in the future.
Like when I promise Lydia that I will play dollies with her when we get
home, I don’t know if we’ll actually make it home. Or when I promise to God that I’m never going
to do something again, I don’t know what the future holds, plus I’m human and I
do stupid things. BUT, God knows the
future. He knows when He promises us
abundant life in Him that we will either accept Him or reject Him, but that doesn’t
change His promise. That makes His
promise more meaningful then a human-being’s promise! God is all knowing. That means He knows EVERYTHING, people (if
you didn’t catch that). I think that
sometimes we devalue Him, and start thinking that he is another human being
that will let us down. BUT HE WILL NEVER LET US DOWN! He promises to give us rest when we are
weary, "Come to me, all you who
are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28). He promises
to lift us up when we are having a hard time, “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up” (James
4:10). He promises to protect us from
the evil one, “But the Lord is faithful,
and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one” (2 Thessalonians
3:3). He promises to hear us in every
need we have, “This is the confidence we
have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he
hears us. And if we know that he hears us-- whatever we ask-- we know that we
have what we asked of him” (1 John 5:14-15). God loves you and His promises have stayed the
same and will always be the same. Now, I
don’t know about you, but that is something I needed to be reassured of on this
gloomy, cold, Monday morning.
Have a blessed day in Him!

No comments:
Post a Comment