Looking for a Real Relationship?
(not a dating ad)
So, I’ve been reading this book for quite some time now and
every time I read just a few lines in it, I’m just blown away by what it is
telling me. The way it is written makes
it seem as though God is standing right in front of me speaking to the depths of
my heart. I can’t help but break down
every single time I read more and more of this book. The book is called Captivating, Unveiling the
Mysteries of a Woman’s Soul by John & Stasi Eldredge.
It’s not a super long book but for some reason I want to breathe each
word in and study each thing that is being said. A lot of women I know have read the book and
they all say the same thing I am saying.
It’s “mind-blowing”. What’s it
about, you ask? Well, exactly as it
states in the title.
While I was sitting in the lunchroom at work the other day,
this man saw me reading and asked what it was that I was so intently reading over there.
I told him the title and he said, “Well that’s funny because you’re a
woman already, you don’t need to understand your own soul.” But that might be what a lot of people think
when they hear the title of it or many may think that it sounds a little too
“churchy” or “spiritual”. This book is
far from “churchy”. In fact, I feel as
though it’s a necessity for learning and
growing in any relationship I have in my life, male or female. We, as women, are more than what we think
with our minds. We are deeper than just
human beings on earth trying to live their lives. We have mysteries
that even we don’t know about. God
designed us that way, so we would search for Him and draw close to Him. We long for a “relationship”, a true and
perfect relationship. And sometimes we
get distracted or blindsided by the world that we don’t even know what a
“relationship" means anymore.
When I was living in, what I call my “dark times”, the word
“relationship” was something that was abused and manipulated by all of my
surroundings. In high school, relationships
were the thing to have. Everyone had one and they changed all the
time. But relationships in high school
weren’t even close to being mature. In
fact, what we learned in high school about relationships was that they change
through different seasons and that it is all about the “learning experience” (this
can be friendship or boyfriend/girlfriend relational). What we learned to like or dislike in
relationships, we learned to hold on to or let go of in the future. Right?
It makes sense. If we dislike
something about a relationship we had in the past, we probably won’t go into
another relationship just like that one. Ideally, that would be logical thinking. But most
people don’t grow up and learn from their mistakes, so their meaning of the
word “relationship” doesn’t change. It stays the same and immature.
In college, relationships were the thing “not to have”.
Really, because everyone who wasn’t in a relationship didn’t have all that extra
baggage. “We can live free and do
whatever we want to do.” Since our
relationships stopped growing, we stayed immature during that time as well. We lived like the Israelites in Judges
did. “At that time there was no king in Israel.
People did whatever they felt like doing” (MSG).
It’s true though, right? When the word “relationship” is placed in the
same sentence as God or Jesus, we just brush it off like we already know what a
“relationship with Jesus” is. But do we
really know what a “real” relationship with Jesus looks like? Try to think about the word relationship and
not immediately think about something or someone that is of this world, its
hard right? God is not of this world, and it’s hard to think that we can be in a
“relationship” with Him? But if our mind
is set on the worldly view of a “relationship” then we can’t imagine what a
true relationship with Jesus Christ looks like, because it is still under “immature
thinking.” Once we begin to see God for
all He has done and is doing in our lives, we can begin to understand what a
“relationship” with Him looks like.
Do you long for a relationship with some One that will NEVER change during a different season of life? Aren’t you ready to put the “dark times” behind you and “grow in a relationship” with some One that will, not only direct your path straight, but love you more than you thought you could ever be loved? Then lay down your immature thinking and take a hold of the promises He has for you!
Do you long for a relationship with some One that will NEVER change during a different season of life? Aren’t you ready to put the “dark times” behind you and “grow in a relationship” with some One that will, not only direct your path straight, but love you more than you thought you could ever be loved? Then lay down your immature thinking and take a hold of the promises He has for you!
“Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves,
and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and
craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth
in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is
the head, that is, Christ.” Ephesians 4:14-15
“Do what God's teaching says; when you only listen and do nothing, you
are fooling yourselves. Those
who hear God's teaching and do nothing are like people who look at themselves
in a mirror. They see their
faces and then go away and quickly forget what they looked like. But the truly happy people are those who
carefully study God's perfect law that makes people free, and they continue to
study it. They do not forget what they heard, but they obey what God's teaching
says. Those who do this will be made happy.” James 1:22-25
“When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I
thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up
childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to
face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully
known.”
1 Corinthians 13:11-12

Sarah! You are great :)
ReplyDeleteJoey! I love you brother!!! You are officially my first commenter on my blog!
ReplyDelete