Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How to Find The Right One....


We hear the phrase in many sermons.  We listen to our friends when they have not followed it and their lives aren’t looking the way they wanted it to.  We grasp the meaning behind it and know why we shouldn’t but… are we really getting it?  Do we really want to listen to it? 

2 Corinthians 6:14 (NIV) “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers.  For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common?”  You know you’ve heard it and you probably agree with it, but what does it mean to be yoked?  And what does an unbeliever look like?  Well, let me tell you.  Dictionary.com says to be yoked together means “something that connects or joins together; a bond or a tie; to become joined securely.  I hear women, all the time that have met a guy, (a potential dateable guy, in their eyes) and they start to get to know him.  They go out on a couple dates and then they get serious.  After that the relationship goes downhill.  You know it’s true.  When our souls become attached to another human being, (I.E. sex outside of marriage) then of course it’s going to hurt when they decide you’re not the girl they want to be with forever.  You gave them a part of your soul.  That part of our soul was only meant for one time and that is our “equally yoked” partner that God has designed with us in mind.  So, we know the truth.  We know that God designed us for one person.  We know that in order to make a relationship work, first off, they must be “equally yoked” with us.  GIRLS, that doesn’t mean “oh he said he’s a Christian and he goes to church…sometimes.”  Come on now!  We know better!  If he isn’t pursuing God, he isn’t at the point in his life where he can give you anything.  He can’t love you the way you are meant to be loved (I.E. how Christ loved the church).  He can’t give you any advice that is Biblical because He isn’t pursuing God.  I mean really, think about it.  If you love Jesus, and you want to grow in a relationship with Him, and you meet a guy that is doing things the way the world is but, oh, “he says he’s a Christian”.  Stop!  Please, we are smarter than that!  I only speak these things because I said them at one point in my life.  I’ve jumped on the bandwagon of “girls who think they are smarter than God when it comes to finding Mr. Right”.  We won’t say it, but of course that is how we are living.  The Bible clearly tells us what to look out for.  2 Corinthians 6:14 is just one of the verses that provides insight into the matter, insight that many of us choose to ignore.  Another version says, “Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.  For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness?  Or what fellowship has light with darkness?” (ESV)  It’s so good!  Unequally yoked,” it says it right there, that our bond or our tie with that other person should be equal in the sight of God.  How can a relationship or a marriage last if God is not the firm focus?  Sadly, it doesn’t or those relationships are broken.  Look at any marriage or relationship that seems to be lacking something.  Something in their lives is missing and we know what it is.  It’s God.  The most important thing in relationships is both people knowing that they are redeemed and loved by the Creator of the Universe.  Right?  “Or what fellowship has light with darkness?”  What kind of fellowship could I possibly have with someone who isn’t on the same path towards God as I am?  Are you having relationship after relationship failures?  Take a look inward, what are you really looking for?  If your heart and your mind are not focused on God then your relationships will continue to fail.  I am sorry to say it, but it’s the truth.  And deep down, you know it too.

“For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,

“I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.
Therefore go out from their midst,
and be separate from them, says the Lord,
and touch no unclean thing;
then I will welcome you,
and I will be a father to you,
and you shall be sons and daughters to me,
says the Lord Almighty.” 2 Corinthians 6:16-18 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment